Monday, February 1, 2016

Rez Life... February 1, 2016

There are so many things to talk about! I can't even find the words! So much has happened in the past week:

Receiving a new comp/trainer- Sister Hailey Westover from Portland, Oregon. She actually went to school in Hawaii with Mason! She totally knows him! Small world right?

Living on the Reservation- Sis. Westover and I live in a super nice (as far as missionary housing goes) Trailer house. Even though there are two bedrooms we both sleep out in the living room with our mattresses on the floor :) It's really muddy here and the weather is weird! It snowed last night and rained before that. All of the people live in hogans or trailer homes. They are a very humble people. It's almost like a little third world over here. I went foreign without going out of the country. I love it!

Teaching actual lessons- I really enjoy teaching! I'm not super good at it yet, but I'm getting there. I feel comfortable sharing my testimony and feeling the spirit, I'm just not quite as confident when it comes to ALL of the teaching. The other weird/ hard thing here is that the Navajo people are really quiet until they get to know you. They don't even give eye contact unless they are really comfortable around you...and they give really weak handshakes. Weird.

Putting people on date!- Even though I haven't been here long and I'm as still learning...I successfully put someone on date for baptism!!!!! Her name is Joy. Sis. Westover and I  taught her the restoration. At the end of the lessons I challenged her to "Follow the example of Jesus Christ and be baptized by someone holding the priesthood authority of god." She agreed! I am so excited!

Monica- Monica is an amazing woman. One of the most faithful people I have ever met. She is an investigator who attends church every sunday, always follows through with her challenges, and is waiting to be baptized. Monica Has a few things she has to figure out before she can be baptized. She has 2 children, David and Timothy, who are absolutely amazing. The only issue is that Monica is not married to their father, but she still lives with him. She wants to work things out with him, but he (Emory) isn't following through on his end. He is an alcoholic and is a danger to his family. Monica either has to marry him or move out. She doesn't know what to do because she doesn't want to split up her family, but she also wants to be baptized and be safe. Please keep her and her family in your prayers. If any of you go to the temple, please put their names on the prayer role..they need it. (Monica Zieu, David & Timothy Zieu-Bordy, Emory Bordy)
Monica could also use a set of nice scriptures. She has the paperback Book of Mormon and a paperback Bible, but she has read and used every single page. She LOVES her scriptures! She has never had the opportunity to read the Doctrine and Covenants or Pearl of Great Price, but she wants to! Sadly, she cannot afford to buy her own scriptures and I don't think she will be able to for a long time. If anyone has an extra, less used, set I know she would greatly appreciate it. 

Navajo People- I honestly have so much love for these people. From the time I put my papers in I have been praying for them and praying that I will be able to love them and help them. I loved these people even before I arrived, but the love I have for them has grown so much and continues to grow everyday. Listening to Monica share her story was the very first time I felt even a miniscule amount of the love that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ have for everybody. I can't express this feeling. I feel heartbreak and excitement and joy all at the same time for these people. My heart is so full of love for the Navajo People and I don't know how it could grow any bigger. These are MY people.

Challenge- I would like to leave you all with a challenge. Please whenever you get the chance, take a second to read Mosiah 3 and Mosiah 4:9-12. I will leave with you a list of questions that I asked myself while reading. 
*What has Jesus Christ done for me? Why did he do this?
*In what ways am I hardening my heart toward Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ?
*How could these things keep me from progressing toward eternal happiness?
*What am I going to change in order to keep progressing?
Once you have answered these questions I invite you to pray about your answers and about what steps should be taken. Even the littlest changes can make the biggest differences. I promise that as you seek guidance you will receive answers. Your Heavenly Father and Savior are willing to walk an immeasurable amount of steps to be at your side. All they ask is that you take ONE. Take the step. 

I love all of you so much! I can feel your prayers and love everyday. I appreciate everything you do so much. I know that this is worth it and that I will most likely leave my mission more blessed than the people I teach. Being here is such a blessing. Hard but good. "If it isn't hard, it isn't worth it."

LOVE YOU!!!
Sister Madalyn Hillam
Monica and her family

Sunset

Sister Westover in our truck...haha

No comments:

Post a Comment