Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Easter Week...March 21, 2016





This past week has been crazy. So many ups and downs. there are so many things that I wish I could share with all of you! I just need this whole 18 months to be captured on video, otherwise you would never understand. 

Culture- The Navajo People love their culture. It is so cool to see the pride they have in who they are, but sometimes it's a little too much. Sister Westover and I teach several people who say that they believe the church is true, but they don't want to forsake their culture. what they don't understand is that we aren't asking them to forsake anything. We want these people to be who they are. The only thing that we ask of them is to live the commandments. Some of the Navajo traditions don't coincide with God's commandments and this is where they struggle. One of the most prominent issues we have pertains to Medicine men. In my studies this morning I read the a scripture in Mark 13:22. This verse talks about what will happen in the days before the second coming. Verse 22 says, "For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible, even the elect." These medicine men are like false prophets. They charge large amounts of money to work "great miracles" with an unknown power. I will tell you one thing, this power is not of God. As missionaries, it is hard to combat this giant issue, but we are working our hardest.This is one Navajo thing that i actually love and wish I had!






D&C 50:22- On a more positive note, sister Westover and I memorized this scripture this week. 
It says, "wherefore, he that preacheth and he that receiveth understand one another and both are edified and rejoice together."I LOVE this scripture. I have really seen the truth of being edified and rejoicing together with those we teach. While there are most definitely moment when we sorrow and mourn together, the moments when we rejoice are far more memorable. There are so many instances when I have seen the light of the gospel affect those that we teach. In those moments, I feel pure joy. Once again, the gospel of jesus Christ is for everyone. Chee Family- There are two individuals who have been such and incredible blessing in my life since the day I arrived in St. Michael's. Their names are ted and Ruby Chee. This couple is about the age of my grandparents, and I see them as such. I adore them. Brother Chee hasn't been to church in over 6 months...that is until sunday!! I cannot express my excitement! The moment Brother Chee walked through the church doors on Sunday I'm pretty sure my heart grew 2 sizes. He just looked at Sister Westover and I, Laughed, and walked into the chapel. that MAn and his wife have no idea how much they mean to me. I hope to someday introduce my children to these amazing people. 
Easter- The past week we have really been focusing on Easter as we teach people. The church has recently put out a new Easter video that we have been able to show people. I have watched it more times than I can count, and I would be happy to watch it over and over again. The message in this w=video is one that everyone in the world needs to hear. As we think about Easter most of us tend to focus on the resurrection of the Savior, which is an amazing thing. This video, however, focuses on the fact that because Jesus Christ was resurrected we and our loved ones will be resurrected also. This has given Easter a whole new perspective for me. If you have a moment, please go to the link below and watch the video. As you watch the video, I encourage you to think of someone you know who could use this message and then to share it with them. take advantage of the tools you have been given to bring others unto Christ. I love you all. I am learning so much and loving this. Even though the mission is hard, I know that this is where Heavenly Father wants me to be at this point in my life. I am so blessed. Happy Easter Everyone!Sister Madalyn Hillam  ​This is a Rez dog that followed Sister Westover and I home during our morning run. She sat outside our door all day while we were
doing weekly planning...so sad. 
​One of the only cute rez dogs!











No comments:

Post a Comment