Thursday, January 21, 2016

Week 1: MTC January 21, 2016

7:27 am:
I'm only on for a minute this morning, but I will be on later today at 3:30! I hope I can talk to you later mom! I love you!
Sister Madalyn Hillam

3:33 pm
MOM! MOM! MOM!

....Remember that ugly cry face I spoke of previously? Yup, its back! All I could say was,"I'm here"... we chatted back and fourth for and hour before we had to say goodbye. It was so great to hear from her and such a blessing to enjoy the blessing of modern technology.



Hello wonderful family! 

I would just like to start by saying that I love you all! I truly appreciate all of the support and shower of emails! It was so nice to hear from everyone :)

This past week has been amazing! I have learned so much and I am really enjoying myself. This past Sunday we were able to attend Sunday Devotional with speaker Janice Kapp Perry. It was amazing! She and her husband are real life relationship goals! Anyway, Sister Perry was all about family and the skill of listening. She shared some great instruction on both. She said this of listening:

"Just listen. Learn to appreciate what others have to say. Missions are all about service and when you get home it will continue to be about service."

This simple concept has been a large blessing to me throughout the week. I have learned that when an investigator, or even my companion(s), are speaking, I shouldn't be thinking of what to say next or even looking up scriptures or anything. My responsibility is to simply listen. That way the spirit is able to speak through me if I am willing to LISTEN. 

The Holy Ghost is the teacher, and I am the tool. So many times I get that backwards. Yesterday (Wednesday) we attended a worldwide missionary conference -the first in a decade- and it was spectacular! I just want to share a small quote that touched me from each speaker, then I hope that everyone reading this can decide understand each for themselves.

Elder Neal L. Andersen: "We teach repentance and baptize converts."
Elder David A. Bednar: "Be good, be worthy, open your mouth, and do not wait for a sign. If it is good, it is of God."
W. Christopher Wadell: Commitment means nothing if we do not follow up."
Bonnie L. Oscarson: "We cannot expect to just know. we must 'Obtain the word' "
L Whitney Clayton: "We need member missionaries!"
Brent H. Neilsen: "Teach when we find, find when we teach."
Elder Dallin H. Oaks: (3 of my favorites because I couldn't pick one) "The Gospel of Jesus Christ is for the interest of the entire world, not just the individual." "With repentance we gain strength." "We are redeemed FROM sins, not OF sins."

The past week has flown by. Here at the MTC they keep us so busy during the day and it seems so long, but the week has felt short. I like everything here. I have two wonderful teachers and 2 amazing companions. Sister Lusk and Sister Christopherson are sooo different. Haha Sister Christopherson is kind of the mom of the group - super focused and serious all the time. Sister Lusk and I are really good at getting all of our things done and staying on task, but we joke around a lot and I'm not sure that Sister Christoherson appreciaes it. We are trying to be better. 

All in all, life is good! 

I love you all and I hope you enjoy my P-day selfie and random doodle. ;)
P.S. Those crazy people are part of my district minus 2!
Sister Madalyn Hillam




No comments:

Post a Comment